Monday, May 08, 2006

Good talks with good people

I had a really good talk with a friend today, and it made me think about my future plans. I have discovered that I love working in a kitchen, like so much I could marry it. The pace is amazing, the people are fascinating, and I feel good doing it. And I am just a dishwasher. Imagine what it would be like if I were cooking.

Every actor will tell you that if there is anything else you can do, do it; and I haven't questioned my determination for two years one iota. But now doubts? Odd timing isn't it?

Jeremey is going to open a kitchen in portland in two to three years, and he wants me to do it with him; and in that time I could easily graduate. I think Jer and I work together really well, and working in a kitchen with him is more fun than most things I can think of. I suddenly find myself doubting my ability to sacrifice all the things I was so ready to let go a month ago. Do all people have doubts when they are about to take a huge step places?

I wonder.

5 comments:

T-Mac said...

People have doubts all the time about big decisions like this, but hey, if you're happy doing it then keep at it and be happy that you've found something that you love! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love music. Giving up my music major was the hardest decision I ever made.

Then, at the end of the Kidd tutorial, I wrote a huge, painful long-ass poem, and I realized: I also love writing. And, perhaps, it was okay that I do something with that.

I still miss music. And I regret letting my voice go. But I love writing. And I'm not sorry to have found that.

I'm not saying you'll be the same; those were just the doubts I had about my huge step.

P.S. I'm TERRIFIED about being a crappy teacher as well. So, there.

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Jesse Jenkins said...

Moses: a) you are getting subtlely spammed (see anonymous comment below with subtle link) which you can avoid by adding a character input form to comments somewhere in Bloggers settings

and

b) go where you are happy my friend! If you think that you can find a path in life that may be easier than trying to crack the Broadway game (and what isn't easier than that!) that will nevertheless make you as happy or more, then go with it!

Many of us take right turns in the path of life and head in entirely different directions. This can happen when we realize we don't want to be doing what we are doing right now, or, perhaps more often, when we simply stumble across something we'd rather be doing more that we never knew we would enjoy.

Take me for example: I will be graduating in two weeks with a degree in Computer Science and Philosophy. Why'd I major in those two? Because I enjoyed them and was pretty good at them and they interested me when I started school four years ago. If you'd asked me what I was going to be 'when I grew up' a couple years ago, I would have said I was going to get my PhD and teach Philosophy.

And what am I doing now that I'm done with my college edumucation?! Not Philosophy or Computer Science! (for the most part, maybe some programming will be done...) I'm off to help with the renewable energy revolution and help transition our nation and our world to a sustainable energy future! How'd that happen? I just took the right class, opened my eyes to something new, and found something I'd rather be doing than where I was heading.

Follow your happiness Mo! There isn't much else worth pursuing in life, eh?

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»