So while I am waiting for my other job to take off, I have been notified that you still need to pay your bills. Such things as rent and cell phone bills don't stop coming when you take a break from schoolin'. What a bummer eh?
Thusly I have found myself gainful employment. Ladies and gentleman, you now know a real dishwasher. Thats right, I wash dishes, professionally, for money, at one of the best restaurants in eugene Cafe Zenon . And I must say though it is by far the shitiest job I have ever had, it is also my favorite. The downsides are many: hours and hours of none-stop backbreaking labor, being covered from head to toe in water, handling leftover food all day; but the people are amazing.
My buddy Jeremy who got me this job (he cooks there) says that this is an abnormal kitchen. Normally people aren't this nice, especially to dishwashers. But I honestly like everyone I work with, and that has never happened to me before. I mean, sure the head chef kind of has a scary look on his face all the time, and there is a janitor that talks about vampires as if they were real; but it really just adds to the charm of the place.
And I get free food. Oh my god the free food. As long as I keep the cooks happy (i.e. I don't fuck anything up) they will basically cook me anything on the menu. I get two free meals a day, which cuts my grocery bill down to basically nothing. They also tip out the dishwasher, which is awesome! I have also been told that the tipping of dishwashers is abnormal.
I have never worked so hard in my life. I have worked on construction crews, and my body has never hurt like this before. basically the whole job consists of finding ways to work less hard, because if you just went at it and scrubbed all day your body would fall apart. Ergonomics is the order of the day. Pick up things with your legs not your back, bend at the waist not the neck, and for the love of god have a towel because some of those pans will steal all of the flesh from your poor callused hands.
God I love my job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Moses, you rock. This is one of those stories you'll tell one day when you're on stage accepting some lifetime achievement award. :-)
Post a Comment