Monday, March 27, 2006

at the airport

Flight was delayed because of a storm in San Francisco; so I am left to amuse myself in the airport. Which is harder than I thought it would be. They have all of these fun shops, but I don't really have money to burn. And thusly I find myself people watching, and thinking.

We are very isolated when we travel. I want to talk to people, just kind of find out where they are going and what is going on in there lives, but I feel like that would somehow intrude on there bubble. Who am I to bother a happy travel, content in there ivory tower of isolation? I guess isolation is kind of implied in the whole ivory tower thing.

Is that a bad thing? Aren't we all about to board this crazy flying machine and hurl ourselves through space at hundreds of miles per hour? Shouldn't we check in with each other?

I still feel like my attentions would be unwanted. There is a guy who has been on his cell-phone to one friend or another the entire time we have been waiting, which is approaching two hours now. I guess that is a form of connecting, if my battery weren't almost dead I might do the same thing.

I hope I sit next to someone interesting on the plane. I think it is my favorite part of flying; meeting people. Except when the people are weird. and that is weird by my standards, which might be totally normal by mainstream sensibilities. Is it too much to ask to sit next to a witty, dynamic person? Perhaps.

1 comment:

Zayne said...

I love flying and airport traveling. I used to meet all sorts of people...old ladies in particular loved to chat with me. I met a woman who owned a coffeeshop in Vegas where the Ink Spots used to rehearse. But I also enjoy just being aware and watching people. If someone wants to talk, they seem to manage to gravitate to those who want to listen.