Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Being 30

This is a strange idea I had recently, Campy and I were siting at brunch in Yaletown which is the snooty yuppie section of Van (apparently canadians don't have the time to say the whole name of the city so they just abbreviate to Van) and I was looking around and something struck me. All of Yaletown was a trap for 30 year olds that couldn't deal with the younger generation. So they desire shops that price out this younger generation. There is no way a 20 year old with the generally accepted income that comes with that age group could hope for their bank account to survive a night at Mist, or Frost, or whatever monosyllabic hyper-chic name the club-owner settles on.

Its not like the cosmo-granite martinis taste any better at $12 than the equivalent at the Cambie, its just a barrier of entry for the consumer. A barrier of entry that keeps all the 30 year old yuppies nicely insulated from all of the other drinking forces in this city. And the owners are all to happy to jack up the price on whatever booze they are pouring.

Also, I just moved into my apartment in Gastown. It is this loft with 16' ceilings and a gas stove. I am in heaven. It is strange because I spent three weeks living in Yaletown, and though when I first moved here Gastown didn't seem so bad, the contrast is kind of startaling. Gastwon is where all of the homeless people are, and though it isn't really that bad compared to Portland or even Eugene, compared to the manicured streets of Yaletown... kind of strange.

More later

No comments: