
I had a strange realization last night whilst I was shaking my grove thing at the Cock and Hodeo. Or Rockin' Rodeo as the sign says. And I was watching these gorgeous women getting mobbed by guys somewhere around twice there age; and it started me thinking about sex appeal.
Sex appeal is a very odd thing. I was watching these girls, and I realized that if I tried to dance with these women, I would be quietly but firmly rebuffed like all of the other men chasing them. However, if they had come to one of my shows, I could most likely talk to them with impunity. Isn't that odd.
Now I don't have a large self image problem, but hey who doesn't have a little one with the way our media shapes us. I know I am not hot. I am cute, but not hot; which is more then enough for me, as long as I can sing right? So does that make me a worse person for trading sexually on my talents, or does that make other people worse because I am more desirable after they hear me sing?
Or does it make no difference at all. I mean in the end this whole crazy game is about finding a suitable mate; so in this crazy dance don't we all put our best talents forward? And I guess talents should come into play somewhere right? We are talking about finding a suitable life-partner at some point. And part of that suitability has to be what the person is, not just what the person looks like.
Guess it is good I am going into performance eh?
strange though isn't it. thoughts?
On another note, isn't that pretty?

3 comments:
Well, people who are great at debate tend to do better with the opposite sex than those who are terrible at it, so it's the same principle.
I do like shiny things...
I appreciate the thought behind this post, Moses, but:
the Cock and Ho-deo? WTF!?
First off, Zayne, have you ever been to the 'Rockin Rodeo?' It is most appropriately dubbed the 'Cock and Ho-deo' for a reason!
Second, Mo, trading on your talents for sex appeal isn't something to be ashamed of. We all work with what we've got. In fact, some evolutionary biologists, namely Geoffrey Miller, author of The Mating Mind, believe that certain talents and human cultural acts, like singing and story telling - really art and contests in general - have evolved as part of a mating cycle.
Women truly are more attracted to men who can sing or draw or play guitar or even have large vocabularies - Miller notes that women often have a large set of recognized vocab words but they don't often employ them while men use a wider set of vocab words in conversation (in general obviously) which leads Miller to conclude that men have evolved to show off their mental prowess with their vocabulary and women have evolved to be receptive to that display, being able to understand the words.
It's all about showing how healthy you are basically, how fit your genes are which largely shows itself in your brain and your coordination - hence displays of intelligence, creativity and prowess in art and contents, etc.
Anyway, that was a far to technical way of saying: keep on pimpin' those talents Mo! Women dig it so run with it.
Post a Comment