Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sacrifice



the photo above is called waiting

I have been meditating on my chosen career path recently, and I think the hardest thing about the performance or entertainment industries is sacrifice. Sure its hard to be good enough, and you always have to keep working etc. etc. But there are a lot of jobs in each industry, and if you are really dedicated there are a lot of little niches in there for an enterprising individual. What people aren't really ready for is the sacrifice that comes along with that.

I am a relationship person. I love being in a relationship, I love the caring and the support; and i'm probably not going to be able to have one for a while. At least not if I get a good job. Being constantly on the road, combined with the need to be able to drop anything and everything at any moment if some new project comes up, not the most stable life style.

And people don't think about that when they are getting involved in the industry. They think about how hard it is going to be to get a job, and about the money and all the warm fuzzy stuff; but they don't think about the fact that they most likely wont be a good significant other for the time that they are in the industry. It takes a very special kind of person to love an actor, or a singer, or whatever person is flying off to singapore for a month to do whatever.


thoughts?

7 comments:

Campy Draper said...

Mosses, I want you to know that Joel and I just sat down after dinner and hammered out a rough outline for 18 full length comic issues. Thanks man. Call me for more details.

Moses said...

good job man!

Zayne said...

Relationships? What are those? Isn't that where people get too clingy and you have to put a bag over your mouth and breathe slowly...?

I agree, Moses. I don't think people think about things fully before they decide to do them. Sometimes, that's a bad thing. But then, there are times where it's a good thing. I am definitely thinking too much at this point.

It does take a special person, but they do exist. You just have to remember what my momma told me: you better shop around. You, too, can find your Trudy Styler.

Emily said...

It has to be a special person, but I think it can work.

T-Mac said...

I agree that it's not impossible, but certainly hard. Still, if you're sad, you can always google your significant other. :-)

Jesse Jenkins said...

Campy you rock!

Moses, its great that you recognize the impacts of where you are headed. We all come to points in our lives where it becomes difficult to keep two people's paths going in the same direction. That's the difficulty of monogamy.

I'd be tempted to say, continuing the evolutionary biology train from my last comment, that we really weren't made for long-term monogomous relationships. That's not to say we can't or shouldn't do them - we aren't really made for global peace either but I'm gonna keep striving for that!

But in the end, it does mean that we all our ambitions and our life paths and it is very difficult to decide how much you want to sacrifice from your goals or how much you want to sacrifice from your relationship to head where you want to head. Sometimes you've got to alter your plans to head in the direction your significant other is heading (it seems to me that Dave and Kristen are a stellar example of what it takes to make it work! you guys are awesome!) and other times you decide that its best for the two of you to head your seperate ways.

Just keep aware of it and you'll be fine. You know what you want. Go get it!

Jesse Jenkins said...

Oh, and that pic rocks. I really like the color manipulation thing. Well done!