Monday, February 13, 2006

Valentine's day

Valentine's day is tomorrow. I think that Valentine's day is my favorite holiday created by the hallmark corporation. In my opinion this special day of love and candy is stressful for two categories off people: single women and men in relationships. As this day where the male of our species gets to prove how much he loves the female of our species approaches, several of my friends that are girls have expressed to me marked disappointment at there lack of a suitable companion. I say "better single then sorry". Am I right, or am right? High-fives all around. no? ok.

But on a more serious note, I have always been uncomfortable with the cultural undertones of Valentines day. There is all this pressure on the guy to go out and do something amazing. Something that will really take a girls breath away. How come I don't get my breath taken away? I understand that there are some cultural undercurrents working here, but come on ladies. Liberated young women all of a sudden are wanting this archaic form of validation. I don't quite get it. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of flower giving, and cooking dinners and all that; but why on this one day is it my job? Because I have a penis?

So on that note. I have a date tomorrow! Its with this cute microbiology major that I met through Zayne. She was at The Essentials Show at Blue Luna on saturday, and we were dancing; and she was a good follow. So I told her so. She said I was a good lead, and so I figured at this point in the conversation it would be appropriate for me to inquire as to her Valentine's day plans. And low and behold she didn't have any. And then I asked her if she would be my valentine. And low and behold she said yes!

And so there will be cooking. Lots and lots of cooking. We will start the evening with a triple cream brie with un-sliced artisan bread, as well as vine-ripened tomatoes under fresh mozzarella and basil sprinkled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The main course will be a tomato cream sauce with roasted red peppers and shitake mushrooms finished with cherrie tomatoes over farfalle. I love to cook; and I love to romance. And I haven't been able to stretch my romancing muscles for a while. At least not in the "come to my house cook you dinner" sense. I am so excited, I can't wait!

I haven't figured out a title for this one yet.

4 comments:

Emily said...

That is the best appetizer ever, my favorite. Don't forget the fresh mozzarella. I need to find someone who likes brie too. Happy Valentine's Day.

T-Mac said...

Rock on, Mo. And you met this BRUISER where exactly? Oh wait, you answered that question in the post so that High Fidelity quotation doesn't really work. DAMN IT.

Zayne said...

I'm just happy my name was mentioned. That's all.

Jesse Jenkins said...

This photo is also sweet.