Sunday, July 16, 2006

Actors

Have you ever been put into a social situation where despite the fact that you don't really want to be an asshole it feels so good that you aren't a good enough person to not be? Case in point

I was at rehearsal yesterday and having a great conversation with the CFO of planned parenthood in Eugene, when I was interrupted by this theater kid I know from around. His name is Chris and he is everything that bugs me about theater. He is good looking, has a nice voice, and an ego roughly the size of Montana. He was in a show with my friend Evyn and spent the entire show bitching about how he should have been given a larger part.

Anyway, the conversation goes something like this:

Chris: Hey man, how are you doing? subtext: I didn't know you did this kind of stuff

Me: Oh hey chris how are you doing? whats up? why are you at a rehearsal for a show you aren't in?

Chris: I ran into Moe at saturday market and decided to drop by, I did this show once and I'm never gonna do that again. These people couldn't recognize me for the amazing talent that I am and anyone who does this show is a no-talent ass clown

Me: Oh yeah? Oh yeah?

Chris: But I guess you're getting paid right? I heard they upped the pay because they were having trouble getting people? You couldn't pay me enough to be in this show because thats how good I am, Oh and anyone who does this show is a no-talent sell-out ass clown.

Me: Oh, I don't know. I'm one of the principles so I don't know what the chorus is getting paid. I have a bigger part in this show than you could ever get, and I'm making more money than you have ever made doing any of your community theater shows. Fuck off

Chris: Oh really? thats cool. how the fuck did you get a part?

Me: Yeah, I mean its just a little part, but its fun, and I really like the people I am working with. I have a bigger part in this show than you could ever get, and I'm making more money than you have ever made doing any of your community theater shows. Fuck off

Chris: Thats cool man, well I'm sure I will see you around. how the fuck did you get a part?

Me: Yeah, see you around. I win asshole

Do you see? I should be a strong enough person to not let this thing bother me, or to not take my ego out of the box I keep it chained up in. I don't know, it felt really good in that bad sort of way.

8 comments:

T-Mac said...

It doesn't sound like you were at all rude, actually. Way to be polite to a total tool. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wait, your ego has a box?!

Yeah actually, I was going to say about what t-mac said, the only part that was really mean was the subtext. He probably didn't even notice it.

T-Mac said...

UPDATE! :-)

T-Mac said...

UPDATE!

T-Mac said...

UPDATE!

T-Mac said...

UPDATE!

T-Mac said...

Update!

T-Mac said...

UPDATE RIGHT NOW!