So i know that i am supoosed to save stuff for the podcast:) but i don't think many people besides dave kristen and campy read this blog anyway, and really i just want it more for a journal than anything. and it will stop being as effective if i try to save it all for the podcast.
Campy, un-subscribe me.
So i park my bike in the couryard of my building. One of my bikes anyway, my street bike. I've talked about the Moja before, suffice it to say, hott. One day i roll up and there is this beautifull single speed locked up to the bike rack. Now this bike rack is genrally only populated by old rusty mountain bikes. The kind of vehicles that make a cyclophile such as myself cry on the inside a little.
this was a different creature.
It was some kind of conversion. Something steel and lugged form the mid '80s most likely. I couldn't tell because the frame had been powder coated this beautiful pearl white. The peddles where dual platform/clipless (classy), the seat a white women's specialized, and a beautiful faux butterfly was tied to the handle bars as if it had just alighted on a warm summers day.
it was amazing.
So i was locking up the Moja and walking away when i glanced back and saw the two locked up next to each other. I imagined what the moja must feel like, sitting day in day out with old rusty MTBs, and suddenly this beautiful creature appears. I figured he would be smitten. So i got it in my head to write a love note from my bike to her bike. I assumed it was a her...
Dear single speed
i think you're cute. your butterfly and dual platform/clipless peddles really turn my crank.
Love,
The black Moja parked next to you.
I taped it to her seat post not really expecting anything. Two days later, i found this on my top tube.
Tall dark and fixie,
Thank you for the note, your large gear ratio is very intimidating. If you would like to meet come by {aprtment #} this sunday between 11:00am - 3:00pm
I received this note at 6:00pm on the sunday that Miss Singlespeed referenced. Heart break. Brainstorming with campy and dave ensued. We decided that i should go knock on the door the following day.
On the following day i did a combination of chickening out/being cute. I can't tell which was more valid. I figured that she gave me a time range and i was outside that, so knocking might be weird, also... cowardice. Also, i was kind of enjoying the note back and forth that had been taking place. So i decided to write another note.
Dear Miss Singlespeed
apologies, My bike was lazy and didn't get me the note in time. i work nights and have afternoons free. Coffee? Beer? Bike ride? Sunny Adventures?
Tall Dark and Fixie {phone #}
There has been no call yet, but i just dropped the note by today. At this point i don't really care which way it all turns out, i have just had an imense amount of fun with the whole thing:) Part of it is already on a podcast episode and i'm sure that the ensuing details will also make an appearance. I just wanted to get it in writing as it happens:).
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What if this is a guy?
The hand writing on the note was pretty nice. I don't know. it is still a possibility:)
Post a Comment