So Friday comes. I wake up early so i could shower before the apointed time. Shaving and grooming my beard so that i might present the maximum amount of sexiness. And hop on my bike.
There are things that i love about riding a bike. The feel of the drive train on flat ground when you are flying along through the warm midafternoon sun. The feeling in your legs after you hammer out 30k. And playing in traffic. I love traffic. Its like a video game, but instead of playing someones else, you are the one choosing your line. and you don't get a reset button. Makes everything a little bit more interesting.
This is what i was doing when i blew past the coffee shop. I looked up several blocks later and thought "oh shit, Burrard is way past Richards." I turn around. This is when i see familiar singlespeed whiz by.
So i wait for the walk signal and jump on her wheel. The first thing that i notice is that she is fit... wicked fit. She is wearing a purple (possibly burgundy?) velvet jacket that somehow is still understated, black capris (excellent cycling choice), and red 30something shoes.
And then i was like huh. 30something shoes. You know those kind of red, hip, low profile but more blockey than the ballet flat type things that the 20somethings have been wearing recently? and the light turns red in front of us. So i pull up beside her (track standing for maxiumum fixie street cred) and i glance to my right.
Two things i notice right away. she is definitely hot and definitely in her early 30s. Maybe right on the 30 line. Not a Couger yet, but definitely a Couglet. She glances over. I say "hey". She nods. Then she takes a longer second look at my bike and says "you don't happen to be going to coffee do you?". I say "why yes i am, meeting a girl with a sick singlespeed".
We pull up to the coffee shop, outside seating, i get a soy latte with light vanilla. I hadn't eaten anything at that point and I like the protean that the soymilk has to offer. The vanilla is just because it is delicious.
She is funny, confident, had been married for ten years and divorced her husband about a year and a half ago. She graduated college six years ago. She is selling her car. She finds a large portion of her friends are now married with children and she doesn't really relate to them anymore. She likes rock climbing and sailing. At times she rolls with a bike crew that does a mobile rave (This could be a good or bad thing). I kept feeling like she was dropping hints about her age, either trying to see what my reaction was, or seeing if i would oblige her with the same information. I didn't.
The coffee went well but ended slightly awkwardly. She asked what i was doing later that weekend and i didn't really have a good answer. Firstly because i didn't really know what i wanted to do with the whole situation anyways, and secondly and probably more importantly i work from 11:00pm until 7:00am Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. So i said i had to work, but that my schedule would lighten up in a couple weeks. She said it was at least nice to put a face to the bike.
Here is my dilemma. If i existed in a vacuum I would probably pursue this nice lady. Probably? i don't know. She sails and rock climbs for fun, and has a pretty sick bike. But i really like youth bike culture. I like rolling around with a 24pack of cheap beer. I like setting upside down crosses on fire during the final of satanic themed sprints. And most of that stuff is done with people who are a few years younger than I am. Would she want to roll to a satanic themed sprint party with upside down fire crosses where she is ten years older than most people? Is that a reasonable expectation for anyone? The answer is i don't know, maybe. Who knows, until i ask her. Which i intend to do. Over a bottle of red wine.
So I decided to tape another note to her seatpost.
Dear Miss Singlespeed
Bottle of red wine after you are done with work on Thursday? Either my place or yours?
I might have come off a little strong on the seductive side, but i definitely wanted that to be part of it, i just wanted an undercurrent. Might have accidentally made it the whole current. But then again she is the one that texted "if you are as sweet and sexy as your ride"... so who knows?
Really i just want to know what she is thinking. I think this whole thing has been awesome and fasciniting, and i really want to know how the whole thing went down on the other side of it all. I think this would make a great This American Life story, Something about meetings and age and cities and what you do after you are married to some one for ten years and then you are single. A lot of themes here.
If she would let me record the conversation i would in a heart beat.
Haven't received a note as of yet. Rest assured i will report back.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment