We got Episode 2 going on over at the ol' 321 podcast. Things have been going pretty well so far. We actually recorded two episodes in one day because Dave will be down in LA figuring out LA stuff.
I'm pretty happy with how it is going so far. It is still taking shape and i'm sure there will be lots of discussion between the three of us about what direction we want to head with it. My friends have always been pretty solid with the witty banter and i think that and the dick and fart jokes are what is selling it so far. I had a discussion with campy today, and i'll want to have this larger discussion before we record another one about how we approach content.
My one great fear is this . the thing is 14 minutes long, you really only need to watch the first few to get what i'm afraid of. This guy gets on youtube and reviews movies that he bought. All right fare enough. But he really just reviews the cases. He just sits there for 14 minutes telling me about DVD cases. I have enough problem with film and tv critics in and of themselves, let alone some dude that has issues with digital noise reduction that reduces the film grain look.
Anyway, I just don't want to be some dude on the internet just spouting my opinion about stuff just to hear myself talk. I love to hear myself talk, but i don't think that will be enough draw for other people. Although i still don't really know exactly why we are doing the podcast. For me it is an awesome chance to hang out with Dave, which is something that i have really been missing these past few years. If the podcast is nothing more than that i am totally happy. But i also like pimping my shit, and am a whore for any outlet where people are listening to me. Thats why i have been glued to the site traffic stats:). And traffic we have. Not huge, but for the first week, pretty way outside my expectations.
So i want people to keep listening and i want the listener-ship to grow, which means that we have to provide content that people are in to. On episode two we have this part where we start talking about Jay-Z, and i felt like at some point it transitioned from three dudes sharing stories and being witty to three white kids opinions on Jay-Z. I would listen to one but not the other. But i don't really know what people want to hear.
I talked with campy about this and perhaps i am just being hyper-sensitive. Maybe people will care what we think about Jay-Z? I don't know. I think that the first episode worked really well because it kept moving and provided unique content. i.e. personal anecdotes that were amusing/touching (kind of like a This American Life with more f-bombs), and witty back and forth.
I guess i'm just worried that our point of view isn't interesting enough to carry a podcast. I know that our experiences are. We are all story tellers, in one way or another we have all studied it. Some of us have advanced degrees in it:). I think that is what has moved 16 gigs worth of content in a week.
But hell i don't know. I'm sure that there is a happy medium somewhere. And i'm sure that i will always ere on the side of the dog and pony show. If anything, i am definitely the one with an advanced degree in dog and pony show.
lolz
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment